Looking for something to do with your kids? Maybe some great recipes or crafts? How about home management, healthy and frugal living tips, or organization and work/life balance ideas?
Let me do the problem solvin' for you - click here to subscribe! _____________________________________________

Friday, September 12, 2008

Ask the Problem Solvin Mom - How to trim those bangs!

A friend of mine was bemoaning the cost of her frequent trips to the salon. She has long, side swept bangs that need trimmed almost as soon as she steps out of her stylist's chair. I have the same hairstyle, so I let her in on a little secret of mine - I trim my bangs several times in order to extend the life of my haircut. I enjoy going to the salon, but it's difficult to find the time and the expense adds up quickly.

I walked my friend through the basics of trimming bangs, and thought I'd share my technique with you too.

First, make sure you have some good scissors.
Part your bangs as you would normally.
When in doubt, always err on the long side.
Hold your hair between your pointer and middle finger on your non-dominant hand.
If your bangs are angled, follow the arch of your eyebrow as a guide.
Cut below your fingers, slowly so the hair doesn't move out of the way too much.
When you've cut both sides to the desired length, there is one more finishing step.
Angle your scissors up and slightly out toward the side you are parting toward.
Make little snips from the inside toward the outside just taking a bit off here and there on the way across.
This helps add a bit of texture and covers up any mistakes you might have made.

If you don't have angled bangs, cut all the way across from one side to the other just below the eyebrow. Then make the little snips all in the same direction the same way you would if your bangs were angled.

You're all set, and now you can wait until the rest of your hair needs trimmed to visit your stylist!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

T with Honey said...

I stopped wearing bangs over half a lifetime ago. But maybe I'll get brave and try trimming Princess's bangs when they start hanging in her eyes again.

Antique Mommy said...

I have a history of trimming my own bangs badly, starting from when I was four.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I love having bangs but would be so scared to trim mine on my own! My stylist doesn't charge for just a bang trim- I wonder if any others do that? It would definitely be convenient if i could do it on my own tho!

Steph

Anonymous said...

That is awesome, I have never tried this, Maybe I will!

carrhop said...

I've been a self-hair-cutter for a long time--but this is the best step-by-step! I've learned a thing or two, oh wise PSM!

Now if I could just reciprocate by helping you with some tip for keeping Sweet Pea off the crib railing....

Blessings!

Mommy2Twinkies-Deb said...

I have side swept bangs too, so I think I'll try this! That's great. Thanks so much. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm just recovering from a very bad dye job though... ouch!