Looking for something to do with your kids? Maybe some great recipes or crafts? How about home management, healthy and frugal living tips, or organization and work/life balance ideas?
Let me do the problem solvin' for you - click here to subscribe! _____________________________________________

Monday, May 25, 2009

Simple and healthy menu planning - back to focusing on the side dishes!


Unfortunately EmDee went straight from his overtime marathon to a second shift week, so it will be just me and Sweetpea eating dinners together this week. Even though I'll be working to keep things simple, I have gotten back into the swing of searching out simple and interesting side dishes - especially with the start of some great vegetables coming to our stores from the south.


Monday: Jambalaya and corn souffle
Tuesday: open faced hamburgers and Parmesan vegetables
Wednesday: Vegetable pasta salad and fruit with yogurt
Thursday: Strawberry banana pancakes and fruit smoothies
Friday: Hamburgers and mixed vegetables kabobs on the grill

My Jambalaya is quick and super affordable, so I thought I'd share that recipe with you today. I'm looking for a seasoning recipe that I can make from scratch (so if you know of one, I'd love it if you'd email me or link up in the comments!) but for now I've been using Zattarans boxed mix. It takes roughly a half hour from start to finish, and if everything is full price at the store, a double batch (roughly 6-8 main dish sized servings) will cost just under $8.20. The boxed mixes go on sale somewhat regularly for $1/box, bringing the cost closer to $5.50 for a double batch.

2 boxes Zattarans Jambalaya mix
1 package smoked sausage, cubed
2 cans black beans, drained

Saute the cubed sausage in a large sauce pan with just a touch of oil to brown them up a bit. Then follow the box instructions, adding everything in on top of the sausage. When the rice is ready, stir in the beans and your Jambalaya is ready. To stretch this dish even further, add equal cups of rice and chicken broth when you add the box ingredients.

For more menu planning ideas, visit OrgJunkie. What's on your menu this week?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Martha said...

Sounds yummy (cheap and easy too)!

I have been so bad lately about my meal planning and of course as a result I never know what's for dinner until everyone is starving - not good.

While you're focusing on those yummy sides I need to focus on meal planning in general again!

Have a great week Steph :-)

Unknown said...

Alright! What an awesome day! "The Closer" is on.
Our 3 day weekend just started.
I hope you and your family had a very nice Memorial Day.
Happy MPM.