Looking for something to do with your kids? Maybe some great recipes or crafts? How about home management, healthy and frugal living tips, or organization and work/life balance ideas?
Let me do the problem solvin' for you - click here to subscribe! _____________________________________________

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Recipes for vegetables that grow like weeds - Part 1

This time of year there are certain veggies that everyone seems to be trying to give away...you know which ones I mean, right? Cucumbers, summer squash, zucchini and eggplant to name a few. In case you're looking for some inspiration, here are two of my favorite squash recipes. I'm trying out a few eggplant recipes this week that I'm planning to share soon. If you're interested in what to do with all those cucumbers, may I recommend cold crock pickles! :)

Here are 2 great recipes for either summer squash or zucchini (or a mix of both!).

Squash Casserole

4 medium squash, diced
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2C instant rice
1/2C bread crumbs or cheese cracker crumbs
1/4C grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350, coat 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Combine crumbs with grated cheese and set aside. Mix cubed squash with soup and instant rice. Place mixture in casserole dish and cover with crumb mixture. Heat for approximately 25 minutes, until rice is cooked through. Sometimes to mix things up I substitute cream of mushroom soup for the cream of chicken and add pre-cooked ground turkey to the mix.

Creamy Squash Saute (Low fat version-find alternatives below)
Slice 4 medium squash
1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
salt and pepper to taste

spray a large saute pan with cooking spray and add squash and onion.

Cook over medium high heat. As squash begins to soften, add 1/2C of chicken stock or wine to the mixture. This allows you to use less oil in your dish, and adds a nice flavor. Simmer until squash and onion are "done" to your liking. Add 8oz of cream cheese (I like the low fat veggie variety) and mix into the vegetables in until the cheese is completely melted. Serve!

You can also use olive oil exclusively without adding broth or wine if you prefer, and of course to make the dish vegetarian you can use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.

My brother claims he doesn't like squash, but even he likes my creamy squash saute!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

McVal said...

Oooh! That sounds delish! You've got my attention for parts 2 and up..

CC said...

how's about a recipe for those who can ONLY grow weeds!! lol!

seriously. I can't grow zucchini, squash, pumpkins....

Michelle said...

I'm not a huge squash fan, but I'd totally try those and ... probably like them. Yum!

FatSingleMom said...

I'am an apartment dweller who LOVES zuchini! I'm always begging for more-- my co-workers with overflowing gardens love me (and my freezer is almost full now!)