Looking for something to do with your kids? Maybe some great recipes or crafts? How about home management, healthy and frugal living tips, or organization and work/life balance ideas?
Let me do the problem solvin' for you - click here to subscribe! _____________________________________________

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Roasted Cherry Tomatoes

If you grow tomatoes and you're like me, you will wait impatiently, even longingly for the first ripe tomatoes of the season. By the end of the season, I'm trying desperately to pick as many as possible and wondering what to do with them. For full sized tomatoes, I like to core and freeze as many as possible for use during the winter in gallon freezer bags. When you pull them out of the freezer, simply run them under hot water and the peel comes right off!

With cherry tomatoes, there are two options I love to employ. One requires a food dehydrator, which many people don't have. (if you're interested and do have one, however, half them and dry overnight at a medium setting for something resembling a sun dried tomato) The other option is roasting - deliciousness intensified!

Roasting cherry tomatoes is easy and not overly time consuming. I'm surprised that most people I talk to don't realize how easy it can be. I love all roasted vegetables, but tomatoes are particularly delicious this way.

In order to roast cherry tomatoes, slice a bunch of them in half longways. Spray a roasting pan with cooking spray, or for easier clean up use aluminum foil. Place sliced tomatoes in a large bowl and add a few teaspoons of olive oil. Toss the bunch to coat and place them skin side down in your roasting pan. Bake them for 1-2 hours at 400 in your oven or until the juices are nearly evaporated (the time will depend on the thickness of your tomato, the grape variety is particularly well suited for this). They are wonderful alone, in soups and pastas, stir fries, sandwiches, etc.

These will keep for quite a while in the refrigerator, and I like to put them in freezer bags to keep even longer over the winter.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've grown tomatoes already, but my dogs end up eating them!

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom said...

Oh no! My dog will eat the tomatoes I toss him (if I find one partially eaten by something else, for example) but he doesn't eat them off the vine, luckily! Can you put up a little fence?