Looking for something to do with your kids? Maybe some great recipes or crafts? How about home management, healthy and frugal living tips, or organization and work/life balance ideas?
Let me do the problem solvin' for you - click here to subscribe! _____________________________________________

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Make your own Rice Cereal

I've not been nearly as excited to start Sugar Plum on cereal as I was with Sweetpea. Partly because the novelty is gone, partly because I know she's getting plenty of nutrition from nursing, partly because of her problems with milk protein...I checked out the cereal boxes while picking up diapers the other day, and every one of them had soybean oil and soy lecithin in the ingredients. I believe from food elimination that Sugar Plum is also soy sensitive, and even though I've read that, "it is believed that most individuals that are allergic to soy can tolerate soy oil and lecithin" I'm not feeling so good about it.

I made baby food for Sweetpea, but never cereal. I'm not sure why, it just didn't occur to me. So since I couldn't find a boxed cereal that I was comfortable with, I dusted off the food grinder and ran some rice through it. Mixed with breastmilk (or formula if you're not breastfeeding) and it looks just like what comes out of the box.

We gave Sugar Plum a few spoonfuls, most of which was fed and refed as it ran down her chin. I think she just liked having something to do other than watch at the dinner table!

Hey, what's this spoon thingy for?! I'm supposed to eat this stuff?

Mmmmm...my mommy is a good cook!

Homemade Rice Cereal

Cook rice according to package directions.
Run 2x through a food mill and mix with liquid of your choice to achieve desired consistency.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

Just wanted to say hi! She is SUCH a cutie!!!

Brooke said...

She looks so much like Sweet Pea! No mistaking they are sisters.

Michelle said...

Hi Steph - I made all my cereals, too, and it totally works. I actually would grind mine before making it so that I could use expressed milk to "cook" it. I also ground oats and barley and other grains to make those cereals for variety. Good luck!

And oh is she adorable! :)