Looking for something to do with your kids? Maybe some great recipes or crafts? How about home management, healthy and frugal living tips, or organization and work/life balance ideas?
Let me do the problem solvin' for you - click here to subscribe! _____________________________________________

Monday, October 26, 2009

Our last week of no spend month - what's on the menu?


So we're winding toward the end of no spend month, and I have to say there were very few times that I actually felt like I wanted to spend money on something and "couldn't" because of our budget challenge. I think we're going to come out almost exactly on target, as I've purchased our groceries for the week and we have just a little wiggle room left. Here's the menu plan for this week:

Monday: Steaks, mashed potatoes and green salads
Tuesday: BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans and potato chips
Wednesday: Grilled chicken salads and smoothies
Thursday: Pork chops, baked potatoes and peas
Friday: Pulled pork tetrazzini and corn bread
Saturday: Pizza and breadsticks
Sunday: Mexican casserole and corn cake

How are we affording such a yummy meat filled menu? As I mentioned last week, we shop the "reduced for quick sale" section at our local IGA - they have a terrific meat case and if you know when to shop you can get a super deal. All of the pork from this week's menu is from a pork loin I bought when it went on sale for $1.69/lb - I'll slice some meat off to pan fry and the rest will become pulled pork in the slow cooker to be used in several other meals this week. Normally when pork loin goes on sale I'll buy two. I freeze one for later and generally freeze half of the pulled pork after I make it.

In addition, we'll be having cake, brownies, baked oatmeal, and carrot cranberry muffins. In order to help make sure we don't feel deprived (and to help clean out the cupboard!) we've been making more desserts than we usually do. Thank goodness for those extra calories I'm allowed since I'm nursing so often! :)

If you're looking for more menu planning inspiration, visit OrgJunkie. Come back next week for a summary of no spend month!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My husband and I have purchased "reduced for sale" meat at our local fresh & easy. I was able to enjoy some delicious Cajun Catfish!
Looks like you have a yummy week planned.
Have a great Halloween or Harvest Festival!

Marva said...

Great job and that menu looks fab!

We go to the local Pig (Piggly Wiggly) on Monday ams to get the reduced meat too. They are closed on Sundays and that have a great selection then!

Have a great week! and enjoy those desserts! Blessings!

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

I am totally coming over to your house for dinner. YUM! I really need to try this menu plan Monday thing.

Malissa said...

Ohhh I love pulled pork and cornbread...think that might have to go on my meal plan for next week. Have a great week!

Michelle said...

I'm with you on buying the meat when on sale and then saving it. Chicken breast (boneless, skinless) was just on sale for $1.19/lb, and ummm I bought a few packs. We'll be chicken dinnering for awhile, I think! And I'm totally cool with that. nicely done on your no-spend!