Looking for something to do with your kids? Maybe some great recipes or crafts? How about home management, healthy and frugal living tips, or organization and work/life balance ideas?
Let me do the problem solvin' for you - click here to subscribe! _____________________________________________

Monday, January 11, 2010

Mindlessly delicious pulled pork


This recipe might look familiar to you, I've posted it once before and talked about it many times - my slow cooker pulled pork is simply the easiest go to meal ever. I'm looking forward to comparing notes with the other back burner cooks over at aiming low, and their back burner recipe contest is what prompted me to re-post this super simple supper.

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

Pork loin, cut if necessary to fit into your crock pot
Beef broth, enough to cover your pork loin (usually ~3 cups)

Cook the pork on low heat in your slow cooker for 6 - 8 hours, until it shreds easily. I usually cook this overnight or during the day, and I usually make big batches so I cook the full 8 hours. Remove the pork from the slow cooker and place it into a casserole dish. Preheat your oven for 350 and shred the pork using two forks and pulling the meat in a crosswise motion. Once the pork is shredded, add either broth or BBQ sauce. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes.

I serve the meat plain with potatoes, on sandwiches with BBQ sauce, in place of chicken in a tetrazzini recipe, in mexican casseroles, etc. I usually cook as much pork as I can fit in my slow cooker and freeze the leftovers for when I don't even want to take the time to plug in my slow cooker.

What is your favorite back burner meal?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I make one very similar to this, although I layer sliced onions below the pork and add sliced garlic into slits. And use just a little soy and water -- no need to cover the pork, as it makes enough of its own juice.

I love the idea of after shredding it though. We love the "corp" we make, but after day 3, we're ready for something different! Yum!

Anonymous said...

Like Michelle I make this as well just mine is never quite the same twice! I try to sear the meat before putting it in the slow cooker but that is if I have the time.

I also like to vary the barbecue sauce that I use based on what is on sale or what I have on hand. I do buy fresh hoagies or buns to put the meat on. I also freeze what ever is left after 2 days. If my guys have friends over I am lucky if there is any for me at all!!

Elaine H